Monday, October 16, 2006

VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGY FOR FREE (as in free lunch)

I just visited microsoft website and quite surprise by their offerings.
Before I go any further, let me tell you about my experience. I am quite familiar with virtualization concept for quite a while back in 2002. I've been tinkering with VirtualPC and VMWare workstation (the later is the one that i use most). Ever since microsoft tookover connectix, microsoft have marketed VPC as the own brand, microsoft virtulpc 2004, and it's been quite expensive. Unfortunately, microsoft have decided NOT to offer for WindowsXP Home Edition user, and that makes me migrated to vmware workstation by becoming one of their tester.

Anyway, 2005 i believe is a year where vmware decided to offer virtualization for free by offering a vmware player for download. Not only that, it support windowsxp home edition (the one that preloaded with my notebook) which is a bless for me. NOW just recently, microsoft has announced that their virtual pc 2004 SP1 is now available for download without any charges/fee.

I believe, it's a smart move to compete with vmware and due to the existence of new, enhance, powerful, TOTALLY FREE, virtualization technology offering named XEN virtualization.

What's is the purpose of virtualization. Well you can setup a new 'virtual' pc inside you own OS (called host os) like any distribution of linux as a guest host. (I use vmware to familiarize myself with ubuntu, and learning how to setup a network within linux and windows) . Oh you can also installed windows 3.1x, windows 98 or latest windows, provided you have separate license. VirtualPC is cost-free but GUEST PC is NOT. You need a proper license for that. Never mind, just let linux occupy you virtualpc (but not supported directly).

I can't make you understand just by typing here. Why don't you just google this keyword 'free virtualization' you will get the right info.

No comments: