Friday, October 20, 2006

Care for Mandriva 2007?

I noticed that Mandriva 2007 is out now. Unbelievably, I miss it's announcement. Anyway here is the quick link to Mandriva 2007 free edition download pages. I will download it soonest possible and testing it on my notebook.

Just to share my experiences, I've supervised the set up of my school's computer lab which preinstall with windows 98 (yes, I now what you saying) and installing Mandriva 2006 Free Edition as dual-booting (with blessing from my previous principal, Hjh Wan Noriah Wan Musa). Unfortunately, it's a mixed satisfaction, as my schools pc although Pentium 4 1.5, RAM is only 128mb which by standard is just minimal requirement. So I have to switch to PCLinuxOS 0.92 and part of the lab using Edubuntu 6.06. for malaysian teacher who have an interest with this kind of experiment at your school, you may contact me via this blog to share my experience. It's kind of easy to do it, as long as you don't violate Windows licensing.

In my case, I suggest the school to try linux (any distro in this matter) to provide the teacher and student the ability to use new technology. The shortcoming of windows 98se is lack support of usb drive, but we can't afford to upgrade to WindowsXP (lack of money and having to upgrade the hardware as well). In short, my school accept my suggestion to experimenting with linux distro. Frankly I believe it is a quick success as student didn't notice any diffences amount the linux the use now with windows they used to use. They even feeling happy as the can use their 256mb thumbdrive!

I jump to joy!

No comments: